The weather forecast for Halloween night predicts rain and possible storms, so instead of going trick-or-treating, stay home with the youngsters and make some ghoulish treats.
These mini monsters are made with a marshmallow and cereal mixture and dipped in chocolate for an added layer of flavor.
Monster cereal marshmallow treat pops
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bag (10 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 8 cups desired monster cereal (such as Boo Berry®, Frankenberry®, Count Chocula®, Yummy Mummy™ and/or Frute Brute™)
- 30 paper lollipop sticks
- 24 ounces vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark), chopped
- Pink, purple, blue and/or green neon liquid food color
- Multicolored candy sprinkles
- 60 candy eyes
Spray 30 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter and marshmallows uncovered on High about 2 minutes, stirring after each minute, until mixture is smooth. Stir in cereal until evenly coated. Spoon mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into muffin cups. Insert paper lollipop stick into each cup, forming cereal mixture around stick.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until cereal mixture is completely set. Carefully remove pops from muffin cups. Dip and decorate half of the pops at a time: In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave 12 ounces of the candy coating uncovered on High 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15-second increments until melted; stir until smooth. Color melted candy coating with liquid food color of choice.
Dip part of each cereal treat pop into melted candy coating to partially cover with coating. Immediately sprinkle with candy sprinkles. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Melt remaining candy coating; color as desired. Dip remaining pops, and sprinkle with candy sprinkles. Allow to set until candy coating is completely hard, about 1 hour.
Use remaining candy coating to attach 1 or 2 candy eyes to each pop.
Instead of buying candy eyes, consider making them by putting drops of black icing on tops of round candy sprinkles.
These monster cookie pops are made using Pillsbury® refrigerated peanut butter cookies.
Monster cookie pops
- 1 roll (16.5 ounces) Pillsbury® refrigerated peanut butter cookies
- 14 craft sticks (flat wooden sticks with round ends)
- 1 container (12 ounces) vanilla whipped ready-to-spread frosting
- Purple, green and blue neon liquid food color
- 1 tube (4.25 ounces) black decorating icing
- Assorted candies for decorating, such as candy sprinkles, marshmallows, black licorice, red licorice ropes and gum balls
Heat oven to 350°F. Cut cookie dough into 14 slices, 1/2 inch thick. Roll each slice into a ball. On ungreased cookie sheet, arrange 7 cookie dough balls in circle 3 inches apart and 2 inches from edge. Securely insert 1 craft stick into each ball, with end pointing toward center of cookie sheet. Repeat with another cookie sheet and remaining 7 cookie dough balls.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, divide frosting among 4 bowls. Leave 1 bowl of frosting white; color remaining bowls with purple, green and blue food colors. Frost cookie pops; decorate with icing and candies as desired to form monster faces.