Restaurateur Jerry Morse and sons Jevan, Jerry A. and Jerad have been in the food industry for years, and now they’re all together at J. Morse on Vine Bistro.
They’ve taken over the spot at 102 West Vine Street, the former Tonio’s Mexican Restaurant. They say the lunch menu is designed for the downtown worker who needs to be in and out in a hurry. Lunch is $6.95 and features fried chicken, Salisbury steak, pork chops, catfish and hot browns.
Everything changes at dinner. “It’s my version of fine dining — relaxed, casual, friendly, unpretentious, gracious and approachable,” Jerry Morse said.
Bistro plates for sharing include roasted tenderloin medallions, mini bison burgers, and grilled flat bread pizza. Entrees include bourbon-glazed pork chop, duck breast and seared mahi mahi.
Lunch hours are 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday; dinner service is 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Call (859) 368-9888.
Tasting menu paired with single-malt scotches
Jonathan at Gratz Park is hosting a tasting menu paired with single-malt scotches on Tuesday. Simon Brooking, master ambassador for Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch whiskeys, will be the guest speaker.
Chef/owner Jonathan Lundy said he met Brooking at the Distillery Live event filmed at Maker’s Mark distillery in September. “Our menu is based on the pairings I made during the Distillery Live event,” Lundy said. The event can be viewed at www.distillerylive.us.com.
Jonathan’s will be open on Super Bowl Sunday for the first time. “Those interested in the game can watch in the bar, or they can enjoy a quiet table in the main dining room,” Lundy said.
Jonathan’s is at 120 West Second Street. Call (859) 252-4949 or go to www.jagp.info.
Super Bowl menu at Winchell’s
Winchell’s, 348 Southland Drive, will offer team-oriented specials for Super Bowl Sunday. The menu includes crawfish etouffee, chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice, and fried oysters. Peyton Manwhich (BBQ beef brisket) and St. Elmo’s shrimp cocktail. Call (859) 278-9424.
Annual bean soup dinner is Feb. 12
Akielo Temple No. 128, Daughters of the Nile will have its annual bean soup dinner from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 12 at Oleika Shrine Temple, 326 Southland Drive. The cost is $5 for adults, $2.50 for children younger than 12. Call (859) 987-2246. For carry-out orders, call (859) 277-6869.
Make reservations now for Valentine’s Day
It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and time to make dinner reservations. Here are places with special events or menus.
- Brown’s Bakery, 1397 West Main Street, (859) 225-8400, www.brownbakery.com. Order chocolate-covered strawberries for Valentine’s Day or a king cake for Fat Tuesday, Feb. 16. The bakery will be open Feb. 14.
- Campbell’s in Paris, 519 Main Street, (859) 987-5164. Five-course menu features choice of garlic and rosemary shrimp over pasta, pork filet with dark cherry sauce, cold-water lobster tail, and prime rib. The cost is $29.95 to $39.95.
- The Dish, 438 South Ashland Avenue, (859) 317-8438, www.thedishlexington.com. Chef Jeremiah Bowman will prepare a la carte and a prix fixe menus Feb. 13, and a prix fixe menu Feb. 14. Owner Trish Tungate is asking guests to “dish out some love for Haiti.” For each $20 donation, guests will be entered to win a $100 gift certificate. Donations will be accepted through Feb. 14.
- Gennaro Galtieri Catering, (859) 276-0001 or (859) 539-5134,or e-mail Galtieri at email@example.com. Galtieri is bringing back the New York-style cheesecake that was popular on the Valentine’s menu at the former Lexitalia restaurant. It is $35. Call 24 hours prior to pickup.
- Marikka’s Bier Stube and Restaurant, Southland Drive, (859) 275-1925. Marikka’s will open at 3 p.m. Feb. 14. Guests will receive free Black Forest cake or German chocolate cake with the purchase of any entrée Feb. 12 to 14.
- Mulligan’s, 1804 Alexandria Drive, (859) 277-0071. The Valentine’s special, 5 to 10 p.m. Feb. 13, is an 8-ounce flat iron steak with 10-ounce lobster tail. $30 a person, plus $10 for champagne.
- Max & Erma’s, 1848 Alysheba Way in Hamburg, (859) 543-8111. The weekend special Feb. 12 to 14 includes two Laredo steaks with two sides and an order of cookies for $31.99.
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, 3405 Nicholasville Road, (859) 271-1165, www.pfchangs.com. A prix-fixe lunch or dinner for two is $39.95 and offers a choice of two entrees.
- Stella’s Kentucky Deli, 143 Jefferson Street, (859) 255-3354, www.stellaskentuckydeli.com. The deli will have dinner seatings at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Feb. 12 and 13. The five-course meal, $35, includes filet mignon, rosemary rabbit risotto or blackened paddlefish.
- Thai Orchid Café, 1030 South Broadway, (859) 288-2170, www.thaiorchidcafe.net. The “sweetheart special,” 5:30 to 10 p.m. Feb. 14, will feature a four-course dinner for two for $39.99.
- Three Suns Bistro has opened a second location, at Lone Oak Country Club in Nicholasville. The restaurant is open to the public, and banquet space is available for as many as 150 people. Call (859) 881-1600. The country club spot, as well as the Brannon Crossing location, will serve a Valentine’s menu Feb. 11- 14. A Cajun menu will be served on Fat Tuesday, Feb. 16. Call (859) 245-0048.
- Wines on Vine, 400 Old Vine Street, (859) 243-0017. A three-course Valentine’s special will be served 5 to 10 p.m. Feb. 13. Included are steamed Mediterranean mussels, grilled filet Oscar, grilled swordfish; the cost is $60 a couple. On Tuesday, Wines on Vine will have “Martini and Manicure Night” featuring a fashion show by Helen’s Boutique.
- Woodford in the Kitchen for Couples, Woodford Reserve, 7855 McCracken Pike, Versailles, (859) 879-1934 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Chef Ouita Michel will demonstrate nibbles including warm Capriole goat cheese rolled in crushed pine nuts; stuffed grape leaves; crepes and hazelnut meringues. Hours are 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 13. The cost is $30.